Tuesday, December 5, 2006

Eulogy for 48 Abell

The man who lived in the camper at the back of our lot was probably the first person I met when I moved in two years ago. I never knew his name, and we never exchanged more than casual hellos in passing while he was hanging out on his patio or else modifying his camper for winter. A while later another man set up on the property in a blue van, with whom I had much the same relationship. But whenever my nephew would visit, he would always stop us on our way by, rummage through a myriad of books and unearth some stickers or a small toy.

A lot has changed to the ladscape of 48Abell since then. As the hording went up along the back, one man's home burned to the ground, and not long after I came home one afternoon to find police crowded around an empty blue van. For me 48 Abell is more than just a building, it's a refuge for a motley of intriguing people. It's an environment that can't be duplicated and one that will be sadly missed.

Tanya

No comments: